Can Mold Grow on Cinder Block Basement Walls?

If you have a basement with cinder block walls, you might find mold growing on the cinder blocks. The visible mold might be accompanied with a strong, musty smell. Mold is a type of fungus that tends to grow in areas with a lot of moisture. It tends to grow on organic matter such as wood or textiles, but it can also grow on concrete or cinder block walls. Clean it as soon as possible to help prevent its negative effects.

Cinder blocks are porous and hold mold growth easily.

Why Mold Grows

Mold spores are floating throughout the air and will grow when they land in an area that has moisture and nutrients for them to subsist on. Mold is responsible for eating organic matter in nature, but it can also survive on dust and dirt that might be on your cinder block walls. Depending on what type of mortar and cinder blocks you have, the mold might also be eating away at the brick. Mold will also only grow where there is excess moisture.

Preventing Mold Growth

Prevent mold from growing in your basement by cleaning it often to help limit the amount of dust there. If your basement is unfinished, it might be impossible to remove enough dust to prevent mold growth. Thus, controlling moisture is key to controlling mold growth. Install a dehumidifier there to prevent mold growth. You can also fix ventilation systems and install bathroom or laundry room fans to cut the amount of moisture that gets into the basement.

Cleaning Mold Growth

Mold will continue to reproduce until it has grown out of control and is covering your cinder block walls. It will eventually spread to the rest of your house and can severely lower its value. Prevent this by cleaning the mold growth as soon as possible. Do this with a bleach based or vinegar based cleaning solution that will kill the spores and prevent them from growing and reproducing.

Mold Health

Mold can cause some health issues. Certain types of mold can cause an allergic reaction in some people that produces hey fever like symptoms such as a runny nose, itchy and watery eyes as well as coughing or sneezing. Very rare types of mold can cause asthma and lung infections in those with respiratory or immune system weaknesses.