Modern kitchens have been all-white for what feels like centuries. Quartz countertops, white Ikea cabinetry, subway tile ... frankly, the look is getting a little tired. Sure, there's a lot to love about the pristine, airy look — but there's plenty to dislike, too (like the number of hours spent cleaning).
The solution: dark wood kitchen cabinets — ranging from rich, natural wood finishes to dramatic shades of paint. The end result will feel refreshingly modern, and the change can add surprising depth to a simple kitchen remodel. Here are 13 reasons why you should take the plunge into moody kitchen cabinets.
1. Black cabinets add dramatic flair.
Swayed by the recent black wall trend? Try matching smoky cabinets with white walls. The combo works best when your kitchen's blessed with sunlight — and the finished look is oh-so-chic.
2. Dark cabinets anchor spaces with high ceilings.
Designed by Raili Clasen, this beach-house-meets-modern-farmhouse is a sight for sore eyes. A simple white kitchen is transformed into a modern masterpiece thanks to the combination of bold navy blue cabinets, brass fixtures, and rustic details. The white waterfall countertop island doesn't hurt either.
3. Kitchen islands make the perfect dark cabinet trial.
4. You can't go wrong with natural wood finish.
Floor-to-ceiling millwork is a luxe look no matter what color your cabinets are — but done in a dark natural wood finish like the kitchen of Emily Henderson's best friend, the effect is totally glam.
5. Dark cabinets work well in a farmhouse kitchen.
6. Dark hues give older cabinets a fresh, updated look.
7. Stainless steel is the perfect partner for dark cabinets.
8. Stone countertops look ten times better with dark cabinets.
Sure, gorgeous stone countertops look great no matter which cabinetry they're paired with. But there's something about darker millwork that accentuates the look. Don't take our word for it, just look at this kitchen designed by Elizabeth Roberts.
9. Light spaces feel balanced with dark cabinets.
Say you do love that all-white look — but you want the kitchen to feel balanced. Try dark wood kitchen cabinets on the bottom and white open shelving up top, like in this expansive, sun-filled kitchen belonging to Molly from Almost Makes Perfect.
10. Dark wood cabinets offer a warm and cozy vibe.
Classic doesn't have to mean stodgy, boring, or basic. Dark, rich wood cabinets like the ones in this kitchen designed by Layne Kula invokes a warm and cozy vibe.
11. Dark cabinets complement your kitchen rug.
Follow Brittany's lead from The Vintage Rug Shop, and coordinate the look of your dark cabinets with your kitchen rug.