A kitchen is one of the most trafficked rooms of any house, so it should be styled to the nines. As far as we're concerned, the best way to make your cook space pop is with great cabinetry. Sure, you can wow the crowd with a beautiful backsplash or chic countertops, but your kitchen cabinet design will tie the whole room together and be the first thing most people will see when they enter your space.
The Best Kitchen Cabinet Materials
Before you even begin to think about what you'll place in your kitchen cabinets, you need to narrow down the right material. Sifting through different options — researching the difference between laminate and thermofoil — can be a complete headache, so it's a good idea to narrow down your search by price and maintenance level.
For example, laminate and thermofoil kitchen cabinet designs are great options if you're looking for an easy (and affordable!) way to spruce up your space. Not only are they pretty affordable, but it's also possible to install them without ripping apart your culinary headquarters. The only catch? Unless you prioritize the condition of your built-ins, less expensive materials such as these are more susceptible to wear and tear.
The Best Kitchen Cabinet Styles
For example, craftsman-style cabinets — you know, complete with a raised panel — will be the perfect finishing touch for a traditional or country kitchen. But if you want to give your space some modern flair, a simple slab style will make your wildest midcentury dreams come true. On the other hand, if you want something a little more versatile that will last for years to come, opt for shaker cabinets. Trust us, they won't let you down.
The Best Kitchen Cabinet Colors
- Yellow: Yellow gets a bad rap for being a complete eyesore. But in reality? It can be the cheery pop of color you need to create a warm, inviting kitchen.
- Green: From a light seafoam to a statement-making emerald, there are plenty of verdant shades to make your guests green with envy.
- Gray: You can never go wrong with a soothing neutral. If black and white feel too severe, gray will undoubtedly hit the sweet spot. As this roundup proves, you don't need 50 shades to make you swoon.
- Greige: Not quite gray, and not quite beige, greige is the perfect neutral to warm up your kitchen cabinets.
- Black: Turns out, going to the dark side isn't so bad after all. With the perfect pigment, you can turn your culinary space into a moody, modern marvel.
- Blue: We can't be the only ones who want our homes to have the blues. From a punchy cobalt to sweet sky blue, there's bound to be a hue for you.
- Red: We're seeing red, but in the best way possible. Though ruby-colored kitchen cabinets aren't for everyone, they can certainly energize the rest of your space.
- White: Ah, it doesn't get more classic than a set of crisp, white kitchen cabinets. Of course, there's more than one shade of white, so check out our roundup of wonderfully white kitchen cabinets to find the best hue for you.
Where to Buy Affordable Kitchen Cabinets
Dream all you want, but most of us don't have the money for classy, custom-made kitchen cabinet design. If you want to give your kitchen some stylish flair on a budget, give these three stores a try.
The Home Depot has been your one-stop renovation shop for years, so you know it will serve up some seriously good kitchen cabinets. With three different services to choose from — In-Stock, Cabinet Makeover, and Custom — this big box brand makes it easy to find a style within your budget.
In the market for flat-front cabinets? A versatile Shaker style? Lowe's has a breadth of different colors, materials, and forms to choose from — and for a fair, reasonable price, no less. Go ahead and get your shopping on!