Furniture that has been exposed to excess moisture or stored in a damp place can take on a rather musty smell from past or present mold or mildew. Walls with poor insulation that have become wet can take on this dour smell. These smells are not only unpleasant in the house but can lead to respiratory problems if not tended to. Getting rid of mold smells in wood is a fairly simple yet necessary process.
Use Murphy's Oil Soap on a soft clean cloth and wipe the entire wood piece with it. It is important to make sure that the object is clean before trying other methods to eliminate the smell.
Mix a very weak solution of 1 part bleach to 3 parts water to remove any noticeable mold or mildew. Put the solution in a spray bottle and spray a clean cloth with it to wipe the wood object with. Bleach may discolor the wood slightly so use sparingly.
Set the wood object outside in the sunshine if possible. Sunlight is very helpful in killing off mold spores. Allow it to sit outside for several hours.
Wipe the wood object down with a soft clean cloth and vinegar. Vinegar has two uses here: killing mold spores and eliminating odors.
Place a bowl of coffee grounds on or in it. If it's wood furniture, place the bowl inside one of the drawers or cabinets and keep it closed for 24 hours to absorb any odors.