Vaseline refers to a particular manufactured brand of petroleum jelly. According to the official website, Vaseline consists of a precise blend of microcrystalline waxes, paraffin and mineral oils. It can be difficult to remove, particularly from hair or fur. If your dog or cat has gotten some Vaseline in its fur, you'll need to remove it quickly, as you don't want your pet licking its fur and swallowing the Vaseline, which could irritate its stomach. If the Vaseline is just on a fur coat or hat, you'll want to remove the unsightly residue before wearing it again.
Cover the fur that has Vaseline on it with a generous layer of liquid dish detergent. Dampen a soft cloth with water.
Wipe off the dish detergent with the cloth. This will take a lot of the Vaseline with it. Dampen a fresh soft cloth with more water and repeat.
Add another layer of dish detergent. Dampen a fresh soft cloth with water and wipe it down again. Repeat with another fresh soft cloth.
Test the area with your finger. It should not feel greasy at all. If it does, repeat with another treatment of dish detergent.
Blow dry the area with a cool setting. Hold the blow dryer above the fur, tilting it, so the cuticle of each individual strand of fur lies flat.