Things You'll Need
Protective eye wear
1 tsp. liquid dish soap
1 cup chlorine bleach
1 gallon water
White distilled vinegar
Mildew is a certain kind of mold or fungus that can grow on any surface that has accumulated moisture. The mold releases tiny reproductive bodies called spores into the air that can grow into mildew when the right conditions exist. You can easily inhale these spores through the lungs, which can cause respiratory problems and other illnesses. Mildew can readily form on rubber surfaces like seals, gaskets or coatings, especially if they are exposed to moist air. If you find mildew on a rubber object in your home, immediately take action for the health and safety of your family.
Put on protective eye wear, a face mask and rubber gloves to protect yourself from touching or ingesting toxic mildew spores. Wear old clothing you can throw away or launder after cleaning the mildew.
Wet a cloth with 1 tsp. of liquid dish soap and wash the surface of the rubber object to remove as much of the mildew as possible.
Mix one cup of chlorine bleach with one gallon of water in a bucket. Apply the solution to the mildewed area with a cloth, and let it sit for several minutes.
Wipe the affected area with a clean cloth until the mildew is completely gone. Remove protective wear and discard or launder protective clothing.
Rub white distilled vinegar on the rubber surface to prevent future mildew attacks. Vinegar is a mild natural acid that makes an excellent protective barrier against future mildew growth.
Repair any leaks or cracks in the rubber that could provide moisture for mildew to grow. Ensure proper ventilation while working with bleach. Open up as many doors and windows as possible or clean the rubber object outside.
Based in Statesboro, Ga., Emily Jones has been writing professionally since 2009. Her articles appear on various websites, specializing in the diverse topics of cleaning and insects. Jones is a graduate student studying education at Georgia Southern University.