Flat sewer rods are used to remove sewer pipeline blockages by inserting the rod into the line via the Y-shaped access fittings periodically installed along the sewer line. The rod is then pushed/pulled backward and forward through the blocked area of the pipeline until all debris has been removed. These rods are useful as they are available in 50 or 100 ft. lengths, which is much longer than most conventional hand-rotating or powered sewer snakes.

Use a crescent wrench to remove the cap from the "Y" fitting.

Step 1

Place a crescent wrench around the central nut of the "Y" access fitting's end cap. Turn the wrench handle counterclockwise to loosen the cap. Remove the cap.

Step 2

Insert the head of the sewer rod into the access fitting and into the sewer line. Use the grip handle to feed the steel rod down into the line until the rod's head meets the blockage.

Step 3

Push the rod backward and forward through the blocked area in the sewer line using the grip handle to hold the line. Repeat this process several times until the blockage has been broken up and no more resistance is felt when pushing the rod into the sewer line.

Step 4

Pull the rod out of the sewer line and clean it with a rag. Coil up the rod and place it back in its holder.

Step 5

Wrap white sealing tape twice clockwise around the threads on the side of the cap. Screw the cap by hand into the end of the Y-access fitting. Tighten the fitting in place with the wrench.