A Burnt Smell From My Whirlpool Duet Dryer

Whirlpool Duet dryers should never give off a burnt smell during or after use. If one does give off such a smell, the problem could be as simple as lint being clogged in the dryer or flammable liquids too close to the dryer during use. No matter the reason, dryers giving off a burnt smell could be hazardous and must be looked into right away.

Dryer Lint

Built-up dryer lint is usually the cause of a burnt smell coming from either the clothes or the dryer itself. Even if the lint trap in a Whirlpool Duet dryer is emptied after every use, lint can still accumulate inside the dryer where you can't see it. Over time, this lint can ignite and cause fires inside the drum of the dryer, even though you don't normally see these small fires due to how fast lint burns out. Clean the dryer's exhaust system of lint each year to reduce the risk of a fire.

Flammable Liquids

Storing flammable liquids near a Whirlpool Duet dryer are a fire hazard and must be avoided. Flammable liquids, including paints and solvents, must be kept at least 50 feet from the dryer. Such products contain gas fumes that could easily ignite if around a dryer while it's running. If this happens, it would cause a burning smell that could harm the dryer and any clothes inside.

Removing the Smell

If you notice a burning smell coming from the drum of the dryer, it can be removed by using old towels. When placed in the dryer, they absorb the odor during the drying process. Throw a few clean towels into the dryer and turn it on for one full cycle. If the odor is strong, you may need to run a few more cycles before the odor is gone completely.

Considerations

If you notice the burning smell while the dryer is running, immediately turn it off and unplug the machine. If your Whirlpool Duet runs on gas, close the main gas valve. With the machine off and no power going to it, the fire should burn off on its own; however, if it doesn't, call the fire department. Open all windows to allow the smell to escape quicker. Don't use the dryer again until the fire is out, and you have consulted a professional.