How to Remove Mildew From a Microwave

Microwaves are naturally mildew-resistant. Their interiors contain no nutrients to support mold growth, and they generate tremendous heat. If you fail to keep your microwave clean, though, you may find yourself with an unpleasant mold problem. While the microwave itself does not support mildew growth, left-behind food particles can provide nutrients for the spores, particularly if moisture lingers inside the microwave.

...
Remove food particles from your microwave to stop mildew.

Step 1

Clean the microwave. In many cases, removing mildew is as simple as scrubbing out the microwave with a sponge soaked in water and liquid detergent. If you remove all the caked-on food particles, you deprive the spores of their nutrients. Therefore, mildew cannot grow.

Step 2

Dry out the microwave. The mold spores that cause mildew growth require more than just nutrients. They must have moisture as well. Dry out the entire inside of the microwave to further ensure that new spores do not germinate.

Step 3

Scrub the inside of the microwave with white vinegar. If you feel uneasy about cooking inside the microwave after your mildew ideal, or if traces of mildew continue to emerge, white vinegar can offer powerful disinfection. Mix with equal parts water for light jobs or use the vinegar full strength for heavy duty cleaning. Let the vinegar remain in the microwave for at least 15 minutes.

Step 4

Rinse out the microwave with water and dry the inside. If any vinegar odor remains, leave the door open for a while so the microwave can air out. Keep the microwave clean at all times and do not allow food particles to remain on the surface. This will ensure that you have no further problems with mildew.