IKEA's Ivar line is one of the most hackable, perhaps because it's one of the most basic: The most popular Ivar item is a simple pine cabinet. No hardware. No embellishments. Which means it's basically a blank canvas upon which your design dreams can be painted. At $70 each, you can stock up on a bunch to create a full-on storage unit that people will truly think is designer. Check out these amazing hacks:
1. Turn the Ivar into a a cane beauty.
(Follow along with our very own DIY to turn the Ivar into a cane-fronted storage winner.)
2. Try different wood stains to create a chevron motif.
3. Try attaching dowels to the fronts for a very design-forward look.
4. A coat of periwinkle paint is simple, but can make the Ivar seem like a high-end piece.
5. Add midcentury-inspired peg legs and cabana stripes for a surprising twist.
6. If you have the Ivar cabinet configuration, you can still use cane, but try oval overlays to make the design a bit more dynamic.
7. Try floating the Ivar and creating a hatch motif for the cabinet doors.
8. For an easy nursery DIY, try painting just half of a configuration of Ivar cabinets.
9. Fool all your friends by floating the Ivar, adding textured paneling and a contrasting top — looks totally custom!
10. Another take on cane paneling — this time with half-moon cutouts.
11. A dark stain on a more complex Ivar shelving unit feels totally farmhouse chic.
12. Add a roof-like top to the Ivar for a whimsical playroom storage piece.
13. Make your home look professionally designed by painting your Ivar unit in a trendy color then matching the color to the wall.
14. For something more artsy, try painting abstract shapes on the Ivar — it will look like you hired an illustrator to do a custom job!
Leonora Epstein is Hunker's Senior Director of Content. She has previously served as Executive Editor at HelloGiggles and as BuzzFeed's Deputy Editorial Director. She is the co-author of "X vs. Y: A Culture War, a Love Story" (Abrams, 2014). Feel free to reach out at email@example.com.