Lots of people like to think of IKEA's Bekvam stool ($19.99) as a blank canvas— its raw birch structure makes it so easy to paint. Let's take a look at how people hack the Bekvam — from ideas that are purely aesthetic to changes that shift the functionality of the piece.
1. Give it a coat of Yves Klein-like blue for a high-design touch.
2. Add twine to the sides and a padded box to the top and voilà: cat paradise.
3. By adding plywood backings, you can create a cat station that's a bit more minimalist.
4. Paint the bottom half black for a decidedly modern aesthetic.
5. Create your own chess set!
6. A neon pink coat of paint on the top is a nice, feminine touch.
7. Give the Bekvam some texture by adding a tufted top.
8. Use the Bekvam as a base to create a kid-safe learning tower.
9. Wow: This paint job makes the Bekvam look like a traditional Scandi antique.
10. Use tape or stencils to create a geometric design.
11. For a musically inclined kiddo, try this piano motif.
Leonora Epstein is Hunker's Senior Director of Content. She has previously served as Executive Editor at HelloGiggles and as BuzzFeed's Deputy Editorial Director. She is the co-author of "X vs. Y: A Culture War, a Love Story" (Abrams, 2014). Feel free to reach out at email@example.com.