Spring has sprung! Translation: You're gonna lose an hour of sleep in the morning, and your to-do list just got really long. Here's a quick refresher of what needs to happen now that the sun is finally out.
Video of the Day
In the Garden
Set the stage for the blooms to come.
- Bring potted plants back outside
- Prep the vegetable garden, if you have one
- Backfill any low-lying areas in the yard with extra soil
- Trim back any broken limbs
- Aerate your lawn, and reseed bare spots
Around the house
See what damage winter hath wrought.
- Clear out the rain gutters
- Spray down the siding on your house
- Wash exterior windows — or better yet, hire someone
- Spray down window screens, and repair any that have broken
- Inspect your foundation — now is the time to fix cracks, clear vents and check for mold
- Inspect any concrete slabs around the house, reseal if necessary
- Inspect — and fix — your roof
- Spray down decks and patios
- Check all the outside faucets
- Have the air conditioning unit serviced
- Replace your doormats
Inside the house
This is elite, marathon-level purging and cleaning. You ready?
- Deep clean your carpet and rugs. When in doubt, hire someone
- Ditto: cloth furniture
- Deep clean the fridge. Yes, take everything out. Purge anything that's expired.
- Defrost your freezer, if necessary
- Deep clean your window treatments. Yes, the window treatments!
- Blinds get a wipe-down. Drapes can be laundered. Shades can be spot cleaned.
- Wash interior windows
- Scrub the walls, including the baseboards
- Replace your filters, all of them — air filters, water filters, dryer filters
- Test and replace batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Deep clean your pantry
- Deep clean the oven and microwave
- Deep clean the dishwasher. Think: vinegar
- Clean the washing machine
- Soak shower heads and removable faucet fixtures to get rid of limescale
- Move and clean behind all of your appliances
- Reseal grout
- Wipe down indoor plants
- Flip and clean your mattress
- Launder your pillows and duvet
- Swap winter linens for lighter-weight options
- Make a list of any house repairs — then tackle it, one by one
- Purge, purge, purge, purge, purge
- Sell or donate any winter clothes that went unworn
- Give your drawers the Marie Kondo treatment
- Get rid of old beauty samples, expired medicine and anything else clogging up your medicine cabinet
- As you prep for taxes, purge your files
- While you're at it, purge your old digital files and back up anything important
- Swap out dark or drab accessories for something shiny and new
Your tools need a little love as well.
- Check and clean all garden tools and equipment
- Look at your list of home repairs and get tools in order
- And then, organize them (we love this easy-to-make copper pipe tool organizer)