Things You'll Need
Commercial disinfecting solution
Sponge or cloth
Use caution when handling bleach or other disinfectant solutions. Use these products in well-ventilated areas and protect your skin with latex gloves. Never mix bleach or disinfectant solutions with other chemicals or cleaners.
A mop is a simple but important household cleaning tool. You use mops to clean and disinfect your floors. However, if you toss your mop aside after mopping, the moist environment of the mop's fibers become an inviting host for bacteria and mold. If you leave the mop untreated, you may spread these bacteria and mold spores within your home the next time that you use the mop. To prevent this, disinfect your mop after each use.
Remove the mop's head if it is detachable and wash it in your washing machine. Add 1/4 cup bleach to the wash, along with your regular detergent.
Soak non-detachable mop heads in a bucket of commercial disinfectant solution for approximately five minutes. You can purchase these solutions from janitorial supply companies.
Soak non-detachable mop heads in a homemade disinfectant solution if you don't want to use a commercially made one. You can create this type of solution by adding 2 tbsp. of bleach to each gallon of warm water that you use. Soak the mop for five minutes.
Wipe the handle of the mop occasionally to disinfect it. Mix 2 tbsp. bleach to a gallon of warm water. Use a sponge or cloth to absorb the solution. Wring it out and wipe the mop's handle.
Charlotte Johnson is a musician, teacher and writer with a master's degree in education. She has contributed to a variety of websites, specializing in health, education, the arts, home and garden, animals and parenting.