Designed to keep you dry, waterproof coats typically repel water and prevent the coat and your skin from become soaking wet. Unfortunately, if you do not dry the waterproof coat thoroughly before storing it, mold and mildew growth can develop on the coat. Mold and mildew can quickly stain the coat and leave it looking like an unsightly eyesore. Furthermore, the mold and mildew will cause the waterproof coat to smell musty. Fortunately, several inexpensive products will remove the fungus from the waterproof coat.
Check the label on the waterproof coat. If it states machine washable, launder the coat as you normally would, but add 1 cup of white vinegar to the rinse cycle to kill the mold and mildew. Continue with the remaining steps if the label states handwash only, or if no label is visible.
Lay the waterproof coat on a flat, level surface with the mold and mildew facing outward. Dampen a clean cloth in white vinegar, and rub the mold and mildew off the surface of the coat.
Let the vinegar sit on the coat for 10 minutes. Wipe the coat clean with cool water. Continue with the remaining steps if any mold or mildew stains remain.
Apply several drops of lemon juice over the mold and mildew. Apply enough so the spots are completely covered.
Cover the mold, mildew and lemon juice with table salt and gently rub with the tip of cloth for several seconds. Let the coat sit in sunlight until it's dry.
Wipe the salt and lemon juice off the waterproof coat with a clean cloth dampened in cool water. Dry with a towel.