There are many varieties of mold in the world today, although, out of thousands of mold varieties only a small few are responsible for breeding in your home. Mold grows both indoors and outdoors and is used as a starter culture from some cheeses and as an antibiotic. Penicillium mold is one of the most common mold strains that thrive in our homes. Like other mold varieties, Penicillium is an allergen and can cause respiratory problems for those who come in contact with it. Removing Penicillium mold is done in the same manner as removing any other type of mold from your home.
Remove Penicillium Mold from Paneling and Painted Walls
Spray the surface mold with a spray bottle filled with water to reduce the number of spores that are released into the air during the cleaning process.
Damp a cloth and wipe the surface mold off the walls.
Combine 1 gallon warm water with 1/2 cup household bleach in a bucket.
Submerge a cloth or sponge in the mixture and wring out the excess.
Scrub the mold as well as surrounding areas of the walls. Allow to air dry.
Remove Penicillium Mold from Vinyl, Concrete, Plastic, Tiles and Other Hard Surfaces
Fill a 5-gallon bucket with 2 gallons warm water. Add 1 cup bleach and 1/4 cup mild dish washing liquid to the bucket. Stir the contents thoroughly.
Fill a spray bottle with the mixture.
Spray the molded items with the mixture. Allow the mixture to sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
Fill a clean bucket with cool water. Submerge a sponge in the water. Wring out the excess liquid.
Rinse the items by wiping them with the sponge. Allow to air dry.
Remove Penicillium Mold from Upholstery, Carpets and Mattresses
Remove the surface mold from the item using a damp cloth.
Attach your vacuums upholstery attachment and run over the molded area.
Combine equal parts rubbing alcohol and water. Saturate a cloth in the mixture. Rub the molded area with the cloth. Allow the rubbing alcohol-water mixture to air dry onto the item.
Create a sudsy solution of 1 cup warm water with 1/4 cup of laundry detergent. Dip the corner of a clean cloth into the solution.
Scrub the area with the cloth. Allow the item to air dry. If mold is still present, repeat the process.