Basements are damp, dark and humid areas where unsightly things grow and thrive. Mold is a common culprit that takes up residence in your basement, creating an unsightly mess with an unpleasant, musty smell. Fortunately, you do not have to put up with mold growing in your basement. You can remove it with the help of a common, all-natural product--vinegar. According to microbiologist Gina Marion, vinegar will reduce mildew, mold and its spores by 90 percent.
Remove molded items out of the basement. Discard porous items--such as paper and cardboard--that have mold growth. Take washable items that have mold growth outside and shake the surface mold off the item. Launder the washable items as you normally would, except add 1 cup of white vinegar with the laundry detergent.
Fill a clean spray bottle with white vinegar. Spray all areas--such as basement walls, shelves, and other hard surfaces--that have mold liberally with the vinegar. Vinegar will kill the mold while deodorizing the area.
Wipe the mold off the surface with a damp cloth. Spray the area once again with the vinegar and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Scrub the surface with a clean sponge. If needed, apply more vinegar to the item. Allow the area to dry.
Fill a bucket with vinegar. Submerge a brush broom in the vinegar and scrub the basement floors. Rinse the floors with a water hose and direct the water toward the basement drain. Scrub the basement floors once again with the vinegar and brush broom. Allow the floor to dry.
Place several fans in the basement. The fans will help dry the basement out, while providing better air circulation.
Run a dehumidifier in your basement to remove the moisture from the air and reduce the amount of mold spores.