Gasoline spills are a common problem in garages due to the occasional leak from the car. However, when left uncleaned, the gasoline causes odors that can be difficult to get rid of. When you inhale gasoline fumes, you risk adverse health effects, such as headaches, throat irritation and difficulties breathing, according to the Illinois Department of Public Health. Promptly cleaning up any gas spills and using basic supplies will go a long way in removing the odors from gasoline.
When a gasoline spill is fresh, use kitty litter to absorb the spill and make clean-up easier. Spread enough kitty litter to completely cover the spill. Let the litter sit for an hour or two before sweeping it up. The cat litter will also absorb the smell from the garage floor if you use a brand that is odor-absorbent. If any odor remains, use regular dish detergent and water to clean it up.
Video of the Day
Baking soda is a natural odor eliminator that absorbs and neutralizes gasoline spills and odors. Put enough baking soda to cover the spill in a large bowl and add enough water to form a thick paste. Apply the paste and let it sit until it has dried completely. Once dry, you can sweep it up using a broom and dustpan. If needed, mop the floor with regular dish detergent to remove any leftover paste and odors.
If the gasoline spill has already been cleaned up and the garage floor still gives off an odor, you can mop the floor using a pine-scented disinfectant floor cleaner. Add the appropriate amount of the cleaner to a bucket filled with warm water following the directions given on the back of the product. Scrub the stained area with a stiff-bristled brush or a thick mop and then wipe clean using a wet rag. The chemicals in the disinfectant will remove any last traces of the gasoline as well as remove the odor associated with it.
When using any type of new cleaner, read the instructions and follow them exactly. You should always test a small amount in an unseen area of the floor to make sure it won't have any adverse effects on the flooring. When cleaning, do not use a wire brush on a garage floor as it could cause permanent damage.
Annie Carter has been been writing in some way for as long as she can remember. However, she has been writing informative articles for the last few years. She has a bachelor's degree in English from Edinboro University. Carter specializes in articles relating to pets, as she has four cats and two dogs of her own.