Are Jasmine Plants Poisonous to Animals?

Hunker may earn compensation through affiliate links in this story.
Jasmine plants are not toxic to animals.

Jasmine plants produce fragrant flowers and are a commonly used landscape plant. Pet owners must take special care to select plants that are not poisonous to animals. The jasmine plant is safe for gardens and yards that have pets because it is a nontoxic plant.

Potential

Horses grazing in field
Image Credit: RalkoV/iStock/Getty Images

Jasmine plants are not toxic to cats, horses and dogs, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. When any animal, however, ingests a plant that is not part of its normal diet, the animal may experience discomfort.

Effects

Jasmine flower
Image Credit: Oleksii Chepenko/iStock/Getty Images

Ingesting a jasmine plant will not cause the more severe symptoms associated with poisoning, but it may produce gastrointestinal symptoms. Nausea, vomiting and diarrhea are the most common effects of plant ingestion. Animals—like humans—may also experience an allergic reaction after ingesting a plant.

Considerations

Vet examines dog
Image Credit: Purestock/Purestock/Getty Images

If your pet has symptoms that are severe or long lasting, consult a veterinarian. Take a sample of the plant in question to the veterinarian's office with your pet. This will help the veterinarian to identify the plant and provide the correct treatment for your pet.

references

Tracy Hodge

Tracy Hodge has been a professional writer since 2007. She currently writes content for various websites, specializing in health and fitness. Hodge also does ghostwriting projects for books, as well as poetry pieces. She has studied nutrition extensively, especially bodybuilding diets and nutritional supplements.