How to Clean Soot From a Stone Fireplace

Hunker may earn compensation through affiliate links in this story.

Things You'll Need

  • Water

  • Bucket

  • Dish soap

  • Oxygen bleach

  • Scrub brush

  • Drop cloths

  • Towel

Clean your stone fireplace with oxygen bleach.
See More Photos

Stone fireplaces accumulate soot just like any other fireplace surface. The stone, however, is a porous surface that requires bit of a deep cleaning to entirely remove the soot residue. Using harsh chemicals can sometimes damage the stone, and when you read the back of many commercial cleaning ingredients you will notice the "flammable" label. This means that when fire comes into contact with the cleaning residue, a fire could potentially start, making it dangerous to use this type of product to clean the stone fireplace.

Advertisement

Video of the Day

Step 1

Fill a bucket with 1 gallon warm water, 1/4 cup dish soap and 1 cup oxygen bleach.

Step 2

Line the floor underneath the stone fireplace with dropcloths to prevent cleaning solution from seeping into your floor.

Advertisement

Step 3

Dip a cleaning brush into the bucket, and scrub the solution into the fireplace stone. Continue scrubbing, dipping the brush back into the solution as needed as you work your way across the fireplace.

Step 4

Rinse off the brush and rinse out the bucket. Refill the bucket with clean warm water.

Advertisement

Step 5

Drench a towel with the water and then wring the water out slightly. Wipe the towel over the whole stone fireplace to remove all of the cleaning residue, and let the stone air dry.

Advertisement