Banana plants are in the Musaceae family. These plants produce beautiful blooms often used in edible decorations and on cakes. Banana plants and its blooms are not considered toxic to humans or animals.
Humans who ingest parts of the banana plant and its blooms will not suffer from plant poisoning symptoms. Banana blooms are also known as banana hearts. Deep purple in color, they are often used in Southeastern Asian dishes.
Ingestion of the banana plant will not harm cats, horses and dogs, states the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Ingesting any plant materials can cause adverse symptoms in animals, which are primarily gastrointestinal. Nausea, vomiting and diarrhea are possible after plant ingestion.
Banana plants are not poisonous to humans or animals and should not cause symptoms of plant poisoning. If adverse symptoms appear, consult a doctor or veterinarian. Take a sample of the plant for identification purposes.
Tracy Hodge has been a professional writer since 2007. She currently writes content for various websites, specializing in health and fitness. Hodge also does ghostwriting projects for books, as well as poetry pieces. She has studied nutrition extensively, especially bodybuilding diets and nutritional supplements.