Use everyday household items to clean your toilet that both deodorize and scour it -- without creating harsh fumes or paying a high price. White vinegar and baking soda, when combined, create a chemical reaction that neutralizes odors, removes stains and disinfects. Make enough for a single-use application or create fizzy cleaning balls for quick cleaning when you need them.
What to Do
- Stir together 1 and 2/3 cups of baking soda, 1/2 cup of dish soap, 1/2 of water and 2 tablespoons of white vinegar.
- Use a fork to stir the solution until all the lumps are dissolved.
- Pour the solution into the squirt bottle and shake thoroughly.
- Flush the toilet bowl, if needed.
- Spray the solution into the newly flushed toilet bowl and scrub with a toilet brush.
- Flush again.
Clean One Toilet at a Time
- Pour 1/2 cup of baking soda in the freshly flushed toilet bowl; then add 10 drops of tea tree oil and 1/2 cup of vinegar.
the solution bubble and fizz
for 3 minutes.
the toilet with the toilet bowl brush and flush.
Make Cleaning Balls
Take the time to make your own effervescent toilet cleaning balls to toss in the toilet as needed.
Let's Get Fizzy
- Add 1 cup of baking soda to a mixing bowl and separate any clumps with a fork.
- Add 1/4 cup of citric acid.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar with 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide in a small glass.
- Slowly add the mixture in the glass jar to the baking soda and citric acid combination in the bowl.
- Gingerly mix together the liquids and solids until combined.
- Add 15 drops of your favorite essential oil, such as lavender, and mix.
- Scoop the mixture using a 1/2-teaspoon-size spoon, and, with one hand, mold into balls. Place the balls on a sheet pan covered with parchment paper.
- Spray the balls with a solution made of 10 tablespoons water and 10 tablespoons vinegar to help hold the balls together.
- Let the balls dry overnight and store in a sealed glass jar that is clearly labeled "toilet cleaner."
- When ready to use, drop a ball in a freshly flushed toilet. Flush again after the ball has stopped fizzing.
Should stains persist despite cleaning with both baking soda and vinegar, treat the stains with vinegar.
in 3 cups of white vinegar.
it sit for 30 minutes.
- Scrub vigorously with a toilet brush, then flush again.
Other Bathroom Uses
Use the cleaning combination of baking soda and vinegar in other bathroom areas.
baking soda over tile and wipe clean with a wet sponge
film from your bathtub by wiping it down with a vinegar-soaked
sponge, drizzling baking soda and then rinsing clean.
baking soda in your sink and wipe clean with a wet sponge.
hard water stains in your sink by wiping
with a vinegar-soaked sponge.