Things You'll Need
Stiff-bristled scrub brush
Treat mold quickly to reduce the chances of adverse health problems.
Mold is a fungus that grows on nearly any surface as long as the conditions are dark and humid. Until recent years, the recommended treatment for mold was chlorine bleach mixed with water. However, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, chlorine bleach is only effective in killing the mold, not in removing the dead mold spores. Dead mold can cause health problems, including respiratory problems and allergic reactions.
Put on your gloves and mask to protect your skin and lungs from mold exposure.
Video of the Day
Pour undiluted vinegar into a spray bottle and spray the affected bricks with the vinegar. If necessary, use a ladder to reach high places on the walls. Allow the vinegar to sit on the bricks for several minutes.
Scrub the mold off the bricks using a stiff-bristled scrub brush. Get on a ladder to scrub the mold off bricks that are out of reach.
Rinse well with hot water. Spray the affected areas again with vinegar, but do not rinse. This will allow the vinegar to penetrate the bricks, killing any mold you may not be able to see.
Jess Jones has been a freelance writer since 2005. She has been a featured contributing writer for "Curve Magazine" and she teaches English composition at a small college in Ann Arbor, Michigan. She received her Master of Arts in English language and literature in 2002.