The candelabra base bulb, also known as the candle or torpedo bulb because of its shape, is made for an E12 or a C7 base. With an adapter, it can fit a standard socket (the screw in base).
The candelabra bulb gives out good light for its size and comes in white, warm white and day light versions. It also comes in different shapes, sizes and colors, as well as fluorescent (CFLs) and incandescent bulbs, and with candle flame and wavy tips. You can also get bulbs that flicker.
The bulb is used in nightlights, ceiling fan light kits, refrigerators, stove hoods, exit lights, table and floor lamps, bathroom vanity strip lighting and chandeliers, as well as for mood lighting.
Adapting the Light Bulb Base
An adapter, known as a candelabra to standard adapter, is available that can fit the candelabra base bulb (E12) into a standard (E26) socket. You'll probably need the adapter for some chandeliers or other fixtures that use a standard socket.
- Light Bulb Changer: E12 Base Candelabra Bulb 15 SMT SMD LED: Product Description
- Office Depot: GE Candelabra Base Light Bulb
- Noli Control Systems: Candelabra to Standard Base Adapter
- Green Electrical Supply: Decorative CFL Bulbs
- National Aircraft Co.: Lighting Parts & Lamp Parts : LIGHT BULBS - Decorative, Chandelier and Specialty: Light Bulbs, CANDLE FLAME and WAVY TIP--Candelabra Base
- Noli Control Systems: Candelabra Lamps
Joy V. Smith
Joy V. Smith was first published in 1964 in "The Christian Science Monitor." She has contributed to "The Antique Press," "Dog World," "Working Writer," "Calliope," "Inscriptions," "Expressions" and several anthologies, including "WomanScapes." Smith received her Bachelor of Arts in English from the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh.