Honeywell space heaters can be an excellent way to warm up any room of the home. Space heaters can really come in handy for heating spare bedrooms, basements, utility rooms, laundry rooms and more. While most of the time a quality space heater will provide years of trouble-free service, it is important to know what to do when things go wrong.
Heater Does Not Come On
One of the most common signs of trouble in a Honeywell electric space heater is that it just refuses to come on. When the heater refuses to turn on, a number of things could be to blame, and it is important to examine each of those factors to determine where the problem lies.
The first thing you should check is the electrical outlet itself. Plug another appliance into the outlet to make sure power is flowing to the receptacle. If power is flowing to the receptacle but the heater still does not come on, carefully check the electrical cord for problems. If you find frayed wires or tears in the cord, stop using the heater until you can have the cord replaced. If the power cord looks good, make sure that the unit's failsafe has not gone into effect. Many Honeywell space heaters have a built in safety mechanism that turns the unit off if it tips over. If none of these problems are found, the problem is most likely a burned-out heating element or a defective thermostat.
Sometimes a Honeywell electric space heater will power on but fail to provide sufficient heat--or any heat at all. When this happens it is important to take a close look at the heating elements to make sure they are glowing. If the heating elements are glowing but sufficient heat is not being produced, those heating elements probably need to be replaced soon. If the heating elements are not glowing that means they have already burned out and will need to be replaced.
Fan Not Working
Many Honeywell electric space heaters are equipped with fans to help the warm air circulate around the room. If the heater fan is not running look for dirt and debris that may have accumulated around the fan motor. This dirt and debris can block the fan and prevent it from running. Dust and dirt can also cause the fan to overheat, and this can cause the heater's safety mechanisms to shut it down. If an excessive build-up of dirt and debris is found, you can use a vacuum cleaner to remove it. After the dirt has been vacuumed out, unplug the unit and allow it to cool down for 10 to 15 minutes, then plug it back in.