If you had a fire in your home, clean-up will likely prove to unbearable, which is why many people hire a professional cleaning crew. Upholstered furniture and carpeting will be some of the most difficult pieces to clean. Other items, though, such as dishes, will be among the easiest items from which to remove the soot. Clean cabinets first or have a box on hand, so you have somewhere to store your clean dishes.
Wipe excess soot off of the dishes with paper towels. You can also use a dry-cleaning sponge, available in art supply stores, to wipe down your dishes.
Soak the dishes in hot, soapy water for 5 to 10 minutes. Use a grease-removing dish detergent, since soot is oily.
Replace the soapy water and wash the dishes as normal using a rag or sponge. Rinse the dishes well under hot running water.
Soak the dishes to sanitize them, since kitchen items, such as utensils, can become contaminated after a fire, according to North Dakota State University. Use 1 to 2 tbsp. of bleach per 1 gallon of water. Let them soak for 10 minutes, then rinse them.