Black mold is the common name for toxic bacteria that grows in the home, particularly in poorly ventilated, moist areas. The presence of black mold can be very dangerous to residents and increases the risk of all sorts of health problems. Many homeowners wonder whether Lysol is an effective black mold-killing agent, and the simple answer is yes, when used properly. Very serious black mold problems, however, require more heavy-duty chemicals and often require professional help.
Causes of Black Mold
Black mold grows in poorly ventilated, damp areas of the house such as basements, bathrooms and garages. It can grow on a wide range of services, including carpet, tile, wood, plaster and paper. According to American Mold Investigations, mold requires moisture and low light and prefers temperatures 50 and 90 degrees Fahrenheit, which is unfortunately the same temperature range preferred by humans. Seasonal changes in the outdoor natural environment can increase the risk of mold, as well as interior temperature changes like turning off the A/C at the end of the day.
Black mold spores can enter the body through the nose, mouth, skin and other membranes, increasing one's risk to a range of short-term and long-term health problems. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, mold in the home can lead to respiratory problems such as asthma, as well as skin rash, runny nose, red eyes and sneezing. Black mold can also cause property damage.
Use Lysol to kill black mold found in manageable quantities, such as that found on a small surface area, deck chair or carpet corner. Use a Lysol brand mold remover that says "Disinfectant" on the can because this means the product is approved by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency as an effective mold-killing agent. Using protective rubber gloves and eye goggles, clean the area with a scrub brush and mixture of warm water and detergent. Let the area of dry thoroughly. Spray Lysol generously at the black mold and surrounding surface area. Allow it to dry. Make sure the area is properly ventilated before proceeding to avoid inhalation.
Lysol disinfectant can effectively kill off a small to medium sized black mold colony. However, a sizable black mold colony that has taken over an entire room, for example, is best left to a professional. Combating such a massive black mold colony can be very dangerous if you don't have the right equipment or are unprepared, so call a mold removal service to do the job for you.
Charlie Higgins is journalist, editor and translator based in Buenos Aires, Argentina. He has written for a variety of lifestyle and niche market websites, including International Food Trader, The Olive Oil Times, microDINERO, Sounds and Colours, Connecting Worlds and The Buenos Aires Reader.