Homeowners enjoy placing eucalyptus leaves around their homes for their aroma, or planting eucalyptus in their landscapes. However, the leaves of the eucalyptus plant are toxic to animals and humans, if ingested.
Humans who swallow eucalyptus leaves may suffer from serious symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and coma upon ingestion, states North Carolina State University. Severe symptoms occur with eating large quantities of the leaves. Handling the eucalyptus leaf can cause skin irritation, redness and burning.
According to Vet Info.com, the eucalyptus leaf is one of the most poisonous plants for dogs. Dogs that ingest this leaf may suffer from symptoms such as depression, excessive salivation, lethargy, diarrhea and vomiting. Cats and horses also develop symptoms of plant poisoning, if they eat eucalyptus leaves, warns the ASPCA.
Ingestion of the eucalyptus leaf may require an evaluation by a doctor or veterinarian. Be certain to take a piece of the plant with you for identification purposes; but remember that handling eucalyptus leaves can cause skin irritation.
Tracy Hodge has been a professional writer since 2007. She currently writes content for various websites, specializing in health and fitness. Hodge also does ghostwriting projects for books, as well as poetry pieces. She has studied nutrition extensively, especially bodybuilding diets and nutritional supplements.