Whether you live in a climate that's warm year-round (lucky!) or you're just eager for apple-cider-everything season to start, you don't have to wait for the leaves to change colors to ring in fall at home. With a few simple decor touches, you can have your space screaming "sweater weather" in no time.
Case in point: This hanging planter turns a log slice into a perch for indoor plants, so you can have the best of fall's rustic vibes without giving up the greenery of summer.
Don't have any indoor greenery? No problem. Just grab some Miracle-Gro® Indoor Potting Mix (which is specifically blended to feed a wide variety of indoor plants for up to six months), and fill a pot about one-third of the way up before adding your plant of choice. Fill in the space around the root ball with more potting mix, press down slightly once you've reached the top, and voila: You're a plant parent. (Just don't forget to water it.)
Now that you're ready to put your plant on display, collect the materials below, and watch the video for step-by-step instructions.
Things You'll Need
Log slice (11-to-12-inch diameter)
Power drill (with drill bit larger than sisal rope)
3/8-inch sisal rope
Wooden ring (2 3/4-inch diameter, 10 millimeters thick)
Ceiling cup hook or ceiling hook with toggle wings
Small planter pot
Indoor plant of choice
1. Place the wood slice flat on your surface, and use a ruler and pencil to mark three equidistant areas, about 1.5 inches in from the edge. (If you were to draw an imaginary line between these three points, they should form a triangle shape.)
2. Use a power drill to drill a hole through each mark. Be sure to use a drill bit that's bigger than the thickness of your rope.
3. Determine how high you want the shelf to hang from the ceiling, add eight inches to this measurement, and cut three equal-length pieces of sisal rope accordingly.
4. Slide a piece of sisal rope through each of the three holes, and tie each of them into a tight knot underneath the wood slice. Cut off any excess length from the knots.
5. Gather the three sisal ropes together on the top side of the wood slice, and thread them through a wood hoop.
6. Tie the three strands of rope together into a tight knot around the wood hoop.
7. Use a ceiling hook with toggle wings to hang.
8. Use a level to check that the planter is level, adjusting the knot on the hoop, if necessary.
9. Plant a lush indoor plant in a small pot with Miracle-Gro® Indoor Potting Mix, and place on the shelf.