Is an Umbrella Tree Poisonous?

Hunker may earn compensation through affiliate links in this story.

Though often grown as a houseplant, umbrella tree (Schefflera actinophylla, also called Brassaia arboricola) contains toxins potentially harmful to people and animals. Reactions to the poison are not usually severe, but you should contact a poison control for help if someone eats part of the plant.

Advertisement

About The Toxin

Umbrella trees are poisonous because they contain calcium oxalate crystals, which are in the umbrella plant's sap, which means it's in all parts of the plant. The sap causes minor skin irritation that typically lasts only a few minutes. If you get the sap on your skin, wash with soap and water immediately. Wear gloves when you're working with the plant.

When people eat the leaves or sap, it can cause vomiting, numbness and tingling in the mouth and a lack of coordination. Umbrella plant poisoning causes a similar reaction in pets. Animals may vomit, drool, have difficulty swallowing or may show signs of burning or irritation in the mouth, lips and tongue.

Advertisement

Contact a Poison Control Center by calling 1-800-222-1222 if a person eats any part of this plant. Tell the operator that you suspect schefflera poisoning, and follow the instructions.

If your pet eats part of an umbrella tree, contact your veterinarian for assistance.

Umbrella Tree Uses

You might wonder why this plant is in so many homes and gardens if is hazardous to people and pets. Outdoors, umbrella trees can reach up to 50 feet tall and make an impressive evergreen specimen plant. They are more often grown as a houseplant because they're tropical plants, and only grow outdoors in the warm, frost-free climates of U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 10 through 11. The plants may overwinter outdoors in USDA zone 9 if you protect them from frost.

Indoors, umbrella trees typically reach about 6 to 8 feet tall and can be kept smaller with pruning. They are well-suited to container growing and need medium or bright light.

Advertisement

references

Marissa Baker

After graduating from The Ohio State University, Marissa Baker turned her attention to professional writing. Her experience covers a variety of topics, including gardening, landscaping and lawn care equipment. She has been gardening for as long as she can remember, and writing about garden and lawn care since 2012.