How to Get Rid of Melted Plastic Smell

Hunker may earn compensation through affiliate links in this story.

Things You'll Need

  • Clorox 2 or white distilled vinegar

  • Febreze or another odor neutralizing agent

  • Disinfecting wipes

  • Scented candles, essential oils or sage leaves

  • Candle holder or glass bowl

Tip

Choose candles with strong and pleasant scents. The candles infused with essential oils are the best option for this kind of problem.

Warning

Watch the burning sage at all times to avoid a fire.

Image Credit: Visage/Stockbyte/Getty Images

Accidents happen every day inside homes, including melting plastic in the microwave, toaster oven, conventional ovens or setting plastic on hot burners on the stove. This creates a smell of burnt plastic, which is very unpleasant. The smell seems to soak into everything and can be very difficult to remove. It is important that you do not breathe in excessive fumes from melting plastic after removing the plastic from the heat source immediately.

Advertisement

Step 1

Air out the house immediately after the plastic is removed from the heat source by opening up all windows and leaving until the smoke and the majority of fumes have dissipated (at least an hour).

Step 2

Wash all clothes that smell like burnt plastic, and add a capful of Clorox 2 or a cup of white distilled vinegar into the wash.

Step 3

Spray all furniture and other household fabrics with an odor-neutralizing spray.

Step 4

Wipe down all hard surfaces with disinfecting wipes.

Advertisement

Step 5

Set candles in candle holders and burn, or put some essential oils such as eucalyptus, cinnamon or orange in a small glass bowl, or burn sage leaves in a glass bowl. Place one or more of these in all rooms that have a burnt-plastic smell.

Advertisement

references

Sarah Coennen

Sarah Coennen writes about the medical industry, health, fitness, alternative medicine and animals. She has been a freelance writer since 2009.