Mold growing under a house can release spores that go into the living space above, creating an unhealthy environment. Mold spores can cause an increase in respiratory illnesses for the occupants of the house. When cleaning mold, you must reduce the possibility of loosened spores moving into other living spaces with negative air pressure. Then, you must prevent the mold from growing back with proper ventilation, low humidity and annual maintenance.
Create negative air pressure by placing fans on all windows or vents so they are blowing air out of the area.
Remove all insulation and other debris that may have been contaminated with mold spores.
Use a shop vac to vacuum all surfaces possible to remove loose mold spores. Clean the vacuum with a solution of 1 part bleach with 4 parts cold water. Clean the hoses and filter, and allow to dry thoroughly.
Wash every surface under the house with a bleach solution made of 1 part bleach to 4 parts cold water. Use a spray bottle to saturate wood and other porous surfaces, then rinse. Allow to dry thoroughly before replacing insulation.
Wash all contaminated clothing and rags immediately after completing the project.
When the project is complete, vacuum and wash down the entire house to pick up any mold spores that may have become airborne and entered the living space.
Prevent mold with proper ventilation and low humidity by installing an exhaust fan on at least one vent to pull air through the space under the house.
Monitor mold growth by inspecting the area annually and saturating any signs of mold growth with the bleach and water solution.