Persistently wet conditions, high moisture and dark and damp areas can quickly lead to yellow mold buildup. Yellow mold can have negative effects on air quality and can do structural damage to wood. To avoid these problems, identify a yellow mold infestation quickly and clean it up immediately.
Identify yellow mold. Often, yellow buildup on walls, floors or structures can be mistaken for yellow mold when it is actually something else. Visible mushrooms or thick-fruiting body growth is a telltale sign of severe yellow mold growth. However, other discoloration, such as water damage, pollen, household dust, pet urine, mineral deposits and sprayed foam insulation can often be mistaken for mold. While you can test the surface by attempting to wipe it away with a small amount of bleach, the only way to definitively determine whether a substance is mold or not is to send it to a lab.
Mix a solution of warm water and a bit of mild hand dish washing detergent in a spray bottle. You can also use a solution of 3 parts water and 1 part bleach.
Spray the area with cleaning solution and allow to stand for 10 to 15 minutes.
Scrub the area with a sponge to remove the mold.
Wipe the area clean with a wet rag and dry the surface thoroughly. Discard moldy rags and cleaning material.
Ventilate the area and keep the relative humidity below 55% to prevent future yellow mold accumulation.