Mold is a common problem anywhere conditions (warmth and moisture) are sufficient for its growth. It can occur after flooding or simply from excessive humidity and improper ventilation. Mold grows on many surfaces, including metal. Fortunately, since metal is not porous, removing mold from metal is not difficult, and metal items can usually be salvaged, even after a flood. The sooner you remove the mold, the fewer the chances it will spread to contaminate other, less durable items.
Ventilate the area in which you will be cleaning the metal. Put on gloves and a protective mask.
Fill a 2-gallon bucket with warm water and detergent. Either laundry detergent or dish detergent will work.
Use a sponge to scrub visible mold from the metal's surface. For large areas of mold, rinse the sponge often in the warm, soapy water.
Pour the contents of the bucket down a drain and put on your safety glasses. Rinse out the bucket and refill it with 1 gallon of water and 11/2 cups of household bleach.
Wipe down the metal with the bleach solution. Let the solution remain on the metal for 15 minutes; this will kill remaining mold spores on the metal. Rinse it off with clean water and then dry the item with a towel.