Mold or Fungus on Interior Brick Walls

When mold begins to grow on interior brick walls, it will fill your home with a moldy, musty aroma and leave unsightly stains on the surface. In addition, the mold will feed off the brick and eat away at the wall surface if proper care isn't given. A few inexpensive products will safely remove the mold from brick walls.

...
With the proper care, brick walls will last for many years.

Mold

Mold is a fungus found both indoors and out. There are hundreds of different strains of mold, each of which spreads via spores that the fungus growth releases into the air. The mold spores float through the air until they land on a surface. If the surface is damp, dark and humid, the spores will begin to grow and feed off the object on which it is living. Mold will stain and deteriorate surfaces that include fabric, paper, wood and brick.

Safety

Before attempting to remove the fungus, protect yourself by wearing rubber gloves, respirator and safety goggles. In addition, keep your skin covered with a long sleeve shirt and pair of paints. Ventilate the area where the mold is present by opening widows and running fans.

Removal

After you have equipped yourself with the proper safety gear, dissolve 1 cup of oxygen bleach with 1 gallon of water. Substitute chlorine bleach if oxygen bleach is not available. Use caution with chlorine bleach as it can damage and discolor surfaces and fill your home with unnecessary chemicals and harsh fumes. Saturate a scrub brush in the cleaning mixture and scrub the mold off the interior brick wall. Once you have removed the fungus from the bricks, wipe the mixture off the surface with a cloth dampened in cool water.

Considerations

Test the cleaning solution on an inconspicuous area of the bricks so ensure that it does not cause more harm than good. Continue with the cleaning process if there is no damage or discoloration after several hours.

If fungus growth is the cause of leaks in the brick wall, repair the leaks and cover the interior bricks with the appropriate sealer. Keep the interior walls as dry as possible to prevent the mold from returning. Use a dehumidifier to remove the moisture from the home's air and lower the amount of mold spores floating through the air.