Mold may appear on the outside of your home's walls if they are consistently damp due to rain, excessive shade or high humidity. Green mold may be indicative of Cladosporium, Aspergillus or Penicillium mold. Not only does mold look unsightly, but it can eat away at your paint and damage it while releasing potentially hazardous spores into the air. Kill green mold on your wall to eliminate these cosmetic, structural and respiratory risks.
Shoot down the wall with a pressure washer's fan spray. Use smooth, even strokes to cover the entirety of the wall, not just the area on which you notice mold growth. This forcefully removes most of the mold spores from your wall's paint and crevices. If you don't have a pressure washer, use a garden hose with a sprayer attachment to rinse the wall as best you can.
Video of the Day
Create a mold-killing solution. Pour a gallon of warm water into a plastic bucket. Mix in 1/2 cup of household bleach and 1/4 cup of standard powdered laundry detergent. Stir thoroughly. Mix in 1/2 cup of trisodium phosphate, a cleaning agent available at many hardware stores.
Sponge the solution onto the green mold growth. If the mold growth is widespread, you may wish to use a garden sprayer, such as the type used to spray herbicides or liquid fertilizers. Allow the solution to soak on the wall for 15 minutes, during which time the bleach will sterilize the surface and kill the mold.
Scrub the wall with a sponge. While the mold may be dead, some staining and mold growth may still be visible. The trisodium phosphate and laundry detergent will help loosen any mold stains.
Rinse the wall by shooting it down with a water hose. Let the wall dry thoroughly, which may take 24 hours or more depending on your climate.