The Intellicode system is the Genie company's proprietary garage door opener technology that constantly rotates digital codes so that thieves cannot gain entrance to your garage by electronic "hacking." It is now used on most of Genie's garage door openers, which usually come with remote controls that are already coded to match. However, many Genies can also be paired with sophisticated after-market remote controls from other manufacturers, which you will need to program to match your opener. And there may be situations in which you need to reprogram your existing remote control or add a new device to replace a lost remote. If a remote control is stolen, for example, it's very important to reprogram your opener to a new code. Adding a keypad entry control involves a similar process of programming.
Fortunately, this is very easy to do. While the exact look of the garage door opener's controls will vary from model to model and year to year, the process is virtually identical for all Genie Intellicode openers.
Locate the "Learn Code" Button
Set up a stepladder and look for the LEARN CODE button and LED indicator on the motor unit of the garage door, located at the front end of the center track, overhead. Depending on the model of garage door opener you own, the "Learn Code" is typically located near the antenna of the unit. It may be on the outside of the motor casing, or in some cases you may need to remove the plastic light bulb covering to find the LEARN CODE button. The cover is usually secured with Phillips-head screws.
Program the Remote Control
- Press and release LEARN CODE button on the motor housing; the LED indicator will blink twice per second. This will continue for about 30 seconds, so continue quickly.
- Press and release the button on the remote you want to program. The LED indicator light on the motor housing should now flash or glow steadily (this varies by model).
- Press the same remote control button again—the LED indicator will go out.
- To check that the button has been programmed correctly, press the button on the remote again—the garage door should operate. If it does not, carefully repeat the steps above.
- Repeat the steps above for multiple doors and/or remotes that have multiple buttons. Most Intellicode garage door openers can be programmed for at least seven different remote controls, or six remotes plus a wireless keypad.