Mold is more common in the lawn than people realize. Unfortunately, many people do not know that they have a mold problem and are not sure what it looks like. For people who think they have a grass mold problem, doing a search online to determine whether or not what they're seeing is a mold and what type of mold it is, is the first step to treating it. It is important to treat it because it can be tracked around (including inside the home) and can be hazardous to everyone's health, including children and pets.

Mold and Algae

It can be difficult to tell mold and algae apart. Both can happen on a lawn and both can ruin the appearance. There are several green varieties, but fortunately, they can both be treated with relatively simple homemade solutions.


Fill a bucket with distilled white vinegar. You'll need a scrub brush that you don't care about. I wouldn't recommend using a scrub brush that you typically use to clean your home. You'll want to throw the scrub brush away when the disinfecting has been completed to ensure that you do not spread the mold. A scrub brush can be found at most dollar stores or discount stores, such as Dollar General. Vinegar will almost always kill algae and will kill mold about 90 percent of the time.

Dip the scrub brush in the vinegar and begin scrubbing at the moldy sections in the lawn. For smaller areas, a spray bottle of vinegar can be used, but if a large portion of the yard is covered in mold, you'll need a bucket. White vinegar is fairly cheap (usually $1 or $2 for a gallon), so get a lot of it.

When all areas have been scrubbed well, empty the bucket of vinegar out and fill it up with fresh water. Using a throw-away large sponge (again, found at the dollar or discount store), rinse off the affected area by dipping the sponge in the fresh water and wiping the area down, rinsing the sponge often. Use a throw-away rag to dry the area well. A pack of 18 wash clothes can be purchased for under $5 at Wal-Mart.

If the mold has spread to walls and other items, follow the above directions, but use a hose to hose down the wall or item and then make sure to dry it well.

If the Vinegar Doesn’t Work

If the vinegar doesn't do the trick, use 50 percent bleach and 50 percent water. Mix together in a bucket and again apply with a scrub brush the same way you did before. Make sure to wear clothes you don't care about, because it is likely that you will get bleach splatter on your clothing. Some people use just 2 cups of bleach to 1 gallon of water, but the standard mixture is half and half.

If the vinegar and the bleach don't do the trick, you'll need to use a fungal treatment that you purchase from a home improvement or gardening center. Take a picture of the infected areas or make sure you can give a good description and talk to someone who can help you determine which treatment will work best. Follow the package instructions for treating the lawn.