Pest Control Bombs That Kill Wasps

Hunker may earn compensation through affiliate links in this story. Learn more about our affiliate and product review process here.
Using pest control bombs can kill wasp nests.

Wasps are one of nature's predators, but few want the insects building nests on (or in) their homes. When wasps feel that their nest is being threatened, they will sting people and animals in the area. This defensive nature can make destroying the nests a risky proposition. One option people have is to use pest control bombs.


Pest Control Bombs

Pest control bombs, otherwise known as total release foggers, are devices that release all their contents with aerosol propellants. These devices shoot their pesticides upwards, then the chemicals spread out to treat an entire room. Users must leave the room immediately after engaging the total release fogger and stay away for a number of hours. Upon reentering the room, it needs to be ventilated for about half an hour before it can be used normally.


Video of the Day


Wasps typically build their nests under roof awnings, but they can also slip inside to build them in your garage or attic. The nests themselves are made from a paper mache-like material, and removing the nest will not be enough to get rid of it; the wasps will simply rebuild the nest in its old location. Consequently, employing pesticides is one of the more effective ways to remove the wasps from your home.



Along with the pesticides, pest bombs release some flammable vapors. Consequently, you should observe a number of precautions before using a pest bomb. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), you should not use pest bombs in small areas, such as a closet or under a sink, because this usage may cause the product to explode. Limit the number of pest bombs you use, because using too many can cause an unsafe build-up of flammable vapors. Also, make sure you turn off all flames in your house, including pilot lights, before using the product.


First Aid

The pesticides used in pest control bombs are harmful to humans. In the case that someone is exposed to the pesticides in the vapor, contact a doctor or a poison control center immediately. If a person swallows the pesticides, have him sip water. Do not force this if he is unable to swallow. Do not induce vomiting unless explicitly instructed to do so by a doctor, and bring the product with you when you go for medical attention.



Report an Issue

screenshot of the current page

Screenshot loading...