Are Rose Hips Dangerous for Pets?

Hunker may earn compensation through affiliate links in this story.
Rose hips are non-toxic to pets.

Rose hips are small fruits produced by the rose bush after the rose has died. Rose hips have been used in culinary dishes and as an alternative medicine. All parts of the rose, including rose hips are non-toxic if ingested by animals.


Pets that ingest any part of the rose will not suffer from plant poisoning symptoms. According to Pet, the rose is not dangerous for pets if ingested, including the berry-like fruits called rose hips.


While rose hips and all rose parts are not toxic, ingesting any type of plant can cause adverse symptoms in pets, states Pawprints and Purrs, Inc. Symptoms associated with plant ingestion include diarrhea, vomiting and depression, and usually are mild with non-toxic plants.


Dogs that ingest roses or rose hips and experience serious or long-lasting symptoms should visit their veterinarian. Rose bushes often are sprayed with insecticides, which can cause adverse reactions in animals. Take a sample of the plant your pet consumed to aid the veterinarian in proper plant identification.


Tracy Hodge

Tracy Hodge has been a professional writer since 2007. She currently writes content for various websites, specializing in health and fitness. Hodge also does ghostwriting projects for books, as well as poetry pieces. She has studied nutrition extensively, especially bodybuilding diets and nutritional supplements.