Mold is a type of fungus that decays organic matter such as wood, plants, meat and other foods. Mold tends to grow in damp areas that don't get much ventilation such as basements, crawlspaces or even freezers. Mold may grow in a working freezer, but it is more likely to grow in an inactive freezer. Always clean the mold out of the freezer before using it. Do not put food back into the freezer until the mold is completely removed. Though mold is inactive in temperatures below 40 degrees Fahrenheit, the spores can reactivate when they get warmer, and they can contaminate your food.
Remove the freezer's contents and turn it off. Let it thaw for several hours. Check it every 30 minutes, and use a sponge to remove any water that has pooled on the freezer floor.
Pour distilled white vinegar into a spray bottle.
Spray the entire inside of the moldy freezer with vinegar, and let it sit for at least 20 minutes. This will give the vinegar time to kill the mold, and will make it easier to remove.
Wipe out the mold with paper towels. Immediately throw the paper towels into a trash bag. This will prevent the mold spores on the paper towels from getting back into the air and moving to another area of your home.
Spray the freezer again, so the entire inside surface is covered in vinegar.
Scrub the entire inside surface with a scrubbing brush until you've removed all the mold.
Wipe out the mold and vinegar residue.
Soak a clean cloth in clear water, and use it to rinse away the vinegar from inside the freezer.
Dry the freezer completely with paper towels.
Plug in the freezer.