Things You'll Need
Sharp cutting object
Mushrooms growing in the home are common. Mushrooms grow in areas that are moist and provide a food source, along with oxygen and an ideal temperature. If they are growing in your home, it is advantageous to remove them, as they can be dangerous if eaten and bring mold in. Fortunately, removing mushrooms from your home is a fairly simple task.
Remove the mushrooms by cutting them off as close to the growing surface as possible. Use a box cutter, putty knife or any object that will cut through the mushroom's thick stem. Place the mushrooms in a bag and throw them away.
Apply a mixture of one part bleach to three parts warm water to the area where the mushrooms grow. Pour the mixture onto the area and scrub the surface with a sponge or cloth. Be sure to wear a mask when doing this, and try to make the area as well-ventilated as possible.
Seek out the source of moisture in the room that allows the mushrooms to grow. For instance, if the mushrooms are growing in the bathroom, check your toilet to make sure it is well attached and sealed to the floor. If it's not, water from the toilet could be running on or under the floor and creating a water source for mushrooms to grow. Replacing the seal around the toilet could solve the issue. In addition, keep the floor as dry as possible by not laying wet towels down on it. Dry off from the shower while standing on a mat as opposed to directly on the floor. Running a fan in the room can also help to keep things dry.
If the mushrooms have stained your wood floor, try applying a mixture of oxalic acid and water to the affected areas. Mix enough of the two ingredients together until a paste is formed, then use a soft cloth to apply it to the stains. Leave the paste on until the stain is gone, then remove it with a clean towel.
Heather Vecchioni is a freelance writer in Maryland. Her work has appeared in several animal-interest magazines, as well as Baltimore-area newspapers and publications. She has a Bachelor of Arts in English from the University of Maryland. She has worked in the veterinary field for over 10 years and has been writing and editing professionally for over five.