Many crawlspaces have fungus--such as mold, mildew and mushrooms--growing and thriving in their dirt floor. The mold spores--as well as the odor--can travel up from the crawlspace and into your home, spreading to other areas. Trying to remove the mold and its spores from the dirt crawlspace may leave you scratching your head. Even if you physical remove the visible mold, the spores may still be present in the dirt. Fortunately, with a little hard work you can remove and prevent mold from growing in your dirt crawlspace.
Fill a pump sprayer with undiluted white vinegar. Saturate the dirt floor thoroughly with the vinegar and allow to dry completely. According to Good Housekeeping's microbiologist Gina Marino, vinegar reduces mold and mildew by 90 percent.
Place several UV lamps inside your crawlspace. Allow the light from the UV lamps to flood the crawlspace for 24 hours. The light from the UV lamps will kill mold and its spores. Remember, do not leave your home while the UV lamps are running. Doing so could cause a safety hazard.
Use fans to help dry out your crawlspace and circulate the stale air. If possible, prop open the crawlspace door for a few days to help provide better ventilation. Do this only on days when weather is warm with no chance of rain. Also, prop it open on a day when you will be home just in case the weather changes so you can close the crawlspace door.
Run a dehumidifier in your crawlspace. The dehumidifier will remove the moisture from the crawlspace air and reduce the risk of mold growth.
Lay a moisture barrier--such as polyethylene plastic or roofing paper--over the crawlspace dirt. This will help keep moisture off the dirt and reduce mold.