How to Remove Flagstone Mildew

Hunker may earn compensation through affiliate links in this story.

Things You'll Need

  • Bleach

  • Vinegar

  • Spray bottle

  • Soft bristle brush

Remove Flagstone Mildew
See More Photos

Flagstone is a term used to describe flat rocks that are commonly used in landscape design. Constantly exposed to elements, the beautiful stones are subject to all that Mother Nature has to offer, such as mold and mildew. Mildew is the unfortunate byproduct of mold. It leaves a light layer of black and white on anything it touches, and in addition to being more than unsightly, it can put off an odor. Cleaning mildew off flagstone is a simple process that can return the stones to their natural beauty in no time.

Advertisement

Video of the Day

Step 1

Choose either bleach or vinegar. Bleach is very effective but can be harmful to nearby plants and foliage. Vinegar is an eco-friendly alternative to bleach.

Step 2

Mix a solution of equal parts water and bleach in a spray bottle. Or put full-strength vinegar in the spray bottle. Do NOT mix bleach and vinegar.

Advertisement

Step 3

Spray the mildewed area with the solution and allow it to sit for at least 15 minutes.

Step 4

Scrub the area with a soft bristle brush to remove all of the mildew.

Step 5

Rinse the area by spraying the stones with a garden hose to remove the debris.

Step 6

Allow the stones to dry in the sunshine.

Warning

Test the stones for colorfastness by applying bleach to an indiscreet area of the stone before using it to clean the entire area.

Advertisement