The jade plant is a houseplant native to South Africa but common in many households in the United States. Despite its beauty, the jade plant is toxic to both dogs and cats.

Money tree
credit: michele princigalli/iStock/Getty Images
close up of jade plant

The Jade Plant

Geldbaum - Crassula ovata
credit: Zoonar RF/Zoonar/Getty Images
close up of jade plant

Crassula argentea is the scientific name for the jade plant, which is known as a succulent because it stores water in its leaves, roots and stems. Jade craves bright sunlight and thrives in temperatures between 55 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Other names for the jade plant include the friendship tree and the money plant.

Signs of Toxicity in Dogs

Vet examining a dog
credit: Andreas Rodriguez/iStock/Getty Images
dog with veterinarian

Although the jade plant seems harmless, it can be deadly if consumed by a dog. A dog who has eaten the leaves of a jade plant may exhibit depression, diarrhea, vomiting and a lack of balance, reports the website PetPlace.com. If your dog exhibits any of these signs, contact your veterinarian immediately.

ASPCA Animal Control Poison Center

Woman in kitchen with laptop using cellular phone smiling
credit: Monkey Business Images/Monkey Business/Getty Images
woman on phone

If you are unable to reach your veterinarian and suspect your dog may have eaten a portion of the plant, call the ASPCA Animal Control Poison Center at 888-426-4435. Be prepared to give your dog's breed, age, sex and weight. Tell the operator your dog's symptoms and information regarding the amount of jade plant eaten and how much time has elapsed since ingestion.