Airbnb is working to make its platform as inclusive as possible, which is why the company is now highlighting experiences specifically for neurodiverse guests. According to Understood, neurodiversity is the perspective that learning and thinking differences – such as autism and ADHD — are normal. They are differences, not deficients.
Airbnb has specifically chosen 12 online experiences that were designed to be inclusive by experts in the neurodiverse community. This includes a trip to Los Angeles for a skateboarding lesson, interactive music lessons, a California-based painting lesson, and a soccer lesson from a host in the United Kingdom.
Some of these online experiences were also created to help participants cope with the stress of the pandemic. For instance, guests can visit a herd of therapy llamas in Portland or participate in meditation for anxiety management.
Here is a list of the 12 online offerings:
- Inclusive Dancing with DanceSyndrome (Lancashire, United Kingdom)
- Inclusive Skateboarding (Los Angeles, CA, United States)
- Healing Soul Transformation Meditation (Sedona, AZ, United States)
- Sing and Play with the Music Man Project (Southend-on-the-Sea, United Kingdom)
- Sing-a-long on a Ukulele (Sydney, Australia)
- Travel to California Through Painting (Los Angeles, CA, United States)
- Meet a Herd of Therapy Llamas (Portland, OR, United States)
- Travel the World through Music (Leeds, United Kingdom)
- Embracing Unconditional Love of Animals (Phoenix, AZ, United States)
- Interactive Rhythm Workshop (Sydney, Australia)
- Mind-Body-Breath for Neurodiversity (Seal Beach, CA, United States)
- Inclusive Football (Soccer) (London, United Kingdom)
So that more people will be able to enjoy these experiences, Airbnb is offering $15 off these bookings through May 1, 2021, with the code EXPLORE. The company is also providing coupon codes to organizations working to support the neurodiverse community, including The Institute for Effective Education, SeeAbility, The Tower Project, and Disability Sports Coach.
To book one of these inclusive online events for yourself, go to airbnb.com/wanderlust and look for the "Inclusive Exploration" section.
Anna is a Los Angeles-based writer and editor who covers lifestyle and design content for Hunker. She's written for Apartment Therapy, the L.A. Times, Forge, and more. She previously worked as the lifestyle editor at HelloGiggles and deputy editor at So Yummy. Her email: firstname.lastname@example.org