We're not saying it's time to panic. But now's a time for honesty, and tbh, our team has been discussing coronavirus (or Covid-19) every day for the past week or so. And yes, we're admitting to prepping. We don't have doomsday mentalities, but living in a large city like Los Angeles, much of our team has decided there's no harm in keeping our homes fully stocked ... just in case it gets to a point where we're being asked to minimize contact with the world. (::shoulder shrug::) Here's what we've bought:
Video of the Day
Gina, Audience Development Director:
Next order, I'll be getting the aloe vera gel and more rubbing alcohol if it's available to make our DIY version.
Leonora, Senior Director:
- Long-lasting vegetables and fruit: Onions, garlic, sweet potatoes, celery, carrots
- Frozen vegetables: Kale, spinach, cauliflower, butternut squash
- Frozen meats: 2 packages chicken sausage, half-dozen pack of chicken breasts
- Frozen fish: Pack of Mahi Mahi, pack of salmon
- Frozen meals: 1 Trader Joe's meal kit, two frozen Indian dishes
- Frozen fruits: Mixed berries, a few bananas, frozen mango, frozen pineapple
- Non-perishables: 6 cans beans, two boxes butternut squash soup, 5 cans diced tomatoes, anchovy paste, tomato paste, tomato sauce, farro, rice, 3 packs of spaghetti/pasta, bunch of Rx Bars and fruit leather, large packs of nuts, dried fruits (apple rings, dates), olive oil
- Household items: We did a Costco run for bulk toilet paper and paper towels (we do this a few times a year anyhow, just pushed it up), laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, anti-bacterial wipes
Eva, Associate Editor:
Somehow, I feel like our cat has more food stocked up than we do which is not a good look. But I'm planning on doing a refresh of our pantry with some of my staples:
- Canned things like beans, artichoke hearts (yum), black olives, the works.
- I'm also a huge fan of cured meats and pickled things.
- And naturally, we'll stock up on plenty of pasta and rice, along with my personal essentials like tortillas, apples, almond butter, and lots of almond milk.
- Oh, and cookies.
Colette, Hunker House Manager:
- Extra formula
- Baby diapers
- 2 bottles of wine
- Baby Tylenol
- Flu medications
- Frozen meat and veggies
Laurie, Director of Editorial Operations:
- Peanut butter, almond butter, jelly
- Olive oil
- Canned soup, chili, beans
- Boxes of mac & cheese, plain pasta, rice
- Hard candy, chocolate
- Canned dog food
- Chicken and vegetable stock
- Boxes of almond milk
- Nuts, cereal, and oatmeal
- Dried fruit (apricots, apples, mangoes)
- Turkey jerky
- RX Bars and Quest Bars
- Paper towels and toilet paper
- Extra batteries
- Hand soap, hand sanitizer,
- Extra medicine (aspirin, cough medicine, antacids, etc.)
- Feminine products
- Plastic garbage bags
- Unscented chlorine bleach
Lowe, SEO Editor:
I haven't really stocked up on anything and I might not ... BUT I do have a lot of water bottles and bubbly at home ...
Katie, Commerce Editor:
- I got extra bathroom/grooming products so I don't have to get more if they run out: toilet paper, paper towels, bar soap, shampoo/conditioner, etc.
- I also swear by Zicam!