Creating the backyard of your dreams means putting some thought into the hardscape design. You might be asking yourself, "What is hardscape design?" So glad that you asked. Hardscape refers to the "hard" more permanent areas of your backyard — so you'll definitely want to weigh all of the possibilities before you start breaking ground. The myriad of materials out there have given way to hardscaping designs to fit every budget and aesthetic. From modern, to rustic, to Scandinavian, to Mediterranean, and beyond, the options are limitless. But before you take the plunge, and make your final decision, check out these gorgeous hardscape design ideas that are guaranteed to inspire and get those creative juices flowing.
1. Don't be afraid to mix and match.
2. Turn your backyard into an exotic oasis.
3. Blur the lines between hardscape with landscape.
A simple yet brilliant design seamlessly blends hardscape and landscape to create a modern backyard paradise. Verdant trees, shrubs, and flowers make up a beautiful garden leaving just enough room for a pathway made of stone tile with grass in between — it's like taking a walk in your very own park.
4. Opt for elegant traditionalism.
5. Be mindful of the existing architecture.
6. Wood decks and gardens go hand in hand.
With greenery all around, the natural elements surrounding this wood deck create a pleasantly organic atmosphere.
7. Create your own bellisima Italian villa.
8. Steel and concrete are are the perfect pair.
9. Enjoy desert-chic vibes all year long.
Here's another hardscape design that transports you to a faraway land. The built-in benches seem to almost grow out of the house, while the patio covering makes incredible use of natural materials.
10. Incorporate playful features.
This ultra-modern playground is so much fun. Not only does it incorporate a hidden sandbox, but it also features a slide! Two sets of stairs leading up — one made of stone, while the other combines wooden stair treads with gravel risers — give you easy access to the whimsical slide, with soft green grass below to gently receive you.
11. You can never go wrong with a little Southwestern flair.
12. Stay calm with a zen garden.
13. French country gardens are so charming.
This French country-inspired backyard is giving the gardens of Versailles a run for their money. Okay, that might be a stretch, but we think this hardscape design is very ooh la la! By using loose gravel, a few stone tiles, and some geometric gardening, this gorgeous outdoor space imbues an elegant grandeur.