Poisonous Grape Vines

When eating berries found in the wild, it's important to identify them. The fruit of some plants may be edible, but the leaves and stems poisonous. Grapes are easy to spot, and no part of the plant is poisonous to humans.

Grape vines are not poisonous to humans.


Grape vines and other parts of the grape vine such as leaves and roots are not poisonous to humans. Some poisonous plants, such as Canada moonseed, look similar to grape vines. All parts of that plant are poisonous and ingesting the plant can lead to seizures and convulsions.


Grapes, raisins, grape vines and all parts of the grape vine including its leaves, are thought to be poisonous to dogs. While some dogs have no adverse reactions after eating grapes or grape vine, others become extremely ill, so caution should be exercised. Grape vines can be used for decoration in birdcages, as they are not toxic to birds.

Fun Fact

Grape vines can be used in survival situations as a source of water. Cut the vine as close to the ground as possible and cut a long slit down the entire length of the vine so water begins flowing out the vine's bottom.

Nicole Papagiorgio

Nicole Papagiorgio has been writing professionally since 2005. She is a blogger and freelance writer based in Canada and has been published in the "National Post," "Ottawa Citizen" and "Vancouver Sun." Papagiorgio has an associate degree in journalism from Algonquin College in Ontario.