Things You'll Need
Hydrogen peroxide 3 percent solution
Large plastic tub
Mold is a fungus that thrives in dark, damp conditions, so if a tablecloth has been stored in a humid basement or left outdoors for a day or two in the rain, chances are the foul-smelling spores will start growing on the fabric. Removing mold from a tablecloth requires sunlight, non-bleach stain removers, elbow grease and patience. Household items will help you get rid of the mold so you can use the tablecloth.
Wipe off as much mold as possible with a paper towel.
Unfold the tablecloth and hang it in the sun for at least a day to kill and dry out the mold.
Soak the affected area in hydrogen peroxide overnight. This is a non-bleach stain remover that will not fade tablecloth fabric. Use a large plastic tub to soak the material.
Rinse the tablecloth in cold water under a sink to remove the peroxide.
Hand wash delicate fabrics with hand soap in the sink or clean launder-safe tablecloths in the washing machine with regular detergent.
Air dry or run the tablecloth through a clothes dryer. The stain and smell of mold should be gone.
James Clark began his career in 1985. He has written about electronics, appliance repair and outdoor topics for a variety of publications and websites. He has more than four years of experience in appliance and electrical repairs. Clark holds a bachelor's degree in political science.