Sharpie Stain Removal

Sharpies can write on virtually any surface and what you have written is permanent, meaning it won't come off very easily. While working with Sharpies, many of us have had the misfortune of accidentally marking on our clothing, shoes or other surfaces. While Sharpie stains don't come off easily, they will come off with the right know-how and a little elbow grease.


The makers of Sharpie pens recommend that you use Amodex Ink and Stain Remover to remove the stain. Amodex works best on fabrics and furniture that have not already been treated (as in, if you're going to attempt using Amodex, don't first try and scrub the stain off with soap and water). This solution works for new and old stains.


On all white surfaces and garments, bleach will take the stain right out. You can apply a little bleach on the garment or surface and scrub vigorously with a sponge or a brush, or you can toss your garment in the washer and run a bleach cycle. Remember not to use the bleach on your skin as this can be harmful.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

For stains on walls, use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, which also works on crayon stains. Simply scrub the Magic Eraser over the stain and rub vigorously until the stain is gone.

Rubbing Alcohol

For Sharpie stains on glass or glass-like surfaces (such as sunglasses or eyeglasses), dab a small amount of rubbing alcohol on a tissue and rub thoroughly. This will remove your stains in no time.

Sharpie on Leather

If you accidentally mark up a pair of leather shoes or any other leather good, you can use Outdoor Saddle Soap to remove the stain. Simply apply and scrub with an old washcloth. It may take several scrubbings, but eventually your leather will look like new.

Fiona Miller

Writing since 2008, Fiona Miller has taught English in Eastern Europe and also teaches kids in New York schools about the Holocaust. Her work can be found on, ConnectED and various other Web sites. Miller holds a B.A. in French from Chapman University and an M.A. in educational theater from New York University.